Moultonborough, New Hampshire Real Estate Information
Located on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee and Squam Lake , Moultonborough was first chartered in 1763 by the Royal Governor Benning Wentworth. A year after the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776, Moultonborough was incorporated as a town.
Moultonborough is the site of Castle in the Clouds built in 1913/1914 as an estate for shoe industrialist Thomas Plant, and it sits high on Mt. Shaw. The estate provides tourists with spectacular views of the Lake Winnipesaukee region as well as wonderful hiking trails. The Old Country Store and Museum is considered perhaps the oldest country store still operating. It began operations in the same building in 1781. Other attractions are the Loon Preservation Society and the Moultonborough Historical Society and Town House.
Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro is 19 miles away and Lakes Region General Hospital in Laconia is 21 miles away. Moultonboroughs airport has a 3,625 lighted asphalt runway.
Moultonborough has the single largest watershed percentage of any municipality on Lake Winnipesaukee at 17.7%. The Lake Winnipesaukee Watershed covers 381 square miles.
- County: Carroll
- Incorporated: 1777
- Area: 59.8 sq. miles of land and 14.8 sq. miles of inland water area
- Coordinates: 43°4518N 71°2347W
- Altitude ASL: 610 ft.
- Population (US Census 2005) 4,952 residents
- Population density (2005) 82.5 people/sq. mile
- Tax Rate (10/11) $8.12
- Web site: www.moultonborough.org
Moultonborough Corner with the Old Country Story