Tuftonboro, New Hampshire Real Estate Information
Located on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee and completely surrounding Mirror Lake, Tuftonboro was originally owned by John Tufton Mason. In 1746 he sold it to merchants from Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Between the years of 1799 and 1863, six Winnipesaukee islands were annexed to Tuftonboro.
Tuftonboro is in a beautiful rural setting with views of the highest of the Ossipee Mountains, Mount Shaw, with an elevation of 2990 ft. to the northeast. In Melvin Village there are two antique car attractions and the Tuftonboro Historical Society Museum. There is a sandy public beach at 19 Mile Bay and many hiking and biking opportunities. Huggins Hospital, in Wolfeboro, is only 8 miles away.
Tuftonboro has 10.5% of the total watershed for Lake Winnipesaukee. The Lake Winnipesaukee Watershed covers 381 square miles.
- County: Carroll
- Incorporated: 1795
- Area: 41.1 sq. miles of land and 8.9 sq. miles of inland water area
- Coordinates: 43°4146N 71°1321W
- Altitude ASL: 988 ft.
- Population (US Census 2005) 2,390 residents
- Population density (2005) 58.8 people/sq. mile
- Tax Rate (10/11) $8.49
- Web site: www.tuftonboro.org
Melvin Village & Mt. Shaw in 1906